Carrot Beans Poriyal – Certain vegetables are good and healthy when combined or cooked together. I was surprised when my nephew told that its always good to cook a root vegetable along with a shoot vegetable to be free from formation of gastritis. Am not sure about the truth behind this but his teacher had told and now its more than a decade I heard this information, but no data to prove other than a belief behind our traditional recipe of preparing Potato brinjal fry and carrot beans fry, cabbage carrot fry, also we do not peel off potato skin in the authentic kitchen of our family. Cooking potato with its skin has wide range of health benefits. Lets move on to carrot beans stir fry recipe.
Ingredients of Carrot Beans Poriyal:
- Carrot – 1
- Beans – 10 nos
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – 3/4 tsp
- Water – 2-3 tbsp
- Grated coconut – 1 tbsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard – 1/4 tsp
- Channa dal / Gram dal – 1/2 tsp
- Split Urad dal – 1/4 tsp
- Dry Chillies – 2 or 3
- Shallots – 4-5 finely chopped
- Curry leaves – 1 spring
Method of Preparation of Carrot Beans Poriyal:
- Finely chop the carrot and beans.
- Heat oil and do the seasoning + Add chopped veggies
- Mix well, cover and cook in low flame
- Add spice powder and salt, sprinkle the water.
- Again cover and cook until soft.
- Add grated coconut mix and serve along with Rasam saadham or in lunch meal.
Step-wise preparation of Carrot Beans Poriyal:
1. Heat oil and add mustard. Let it splutter
2. Add channa dal and urad dal
3. When golden brown add shallots, chillies and curry leaves
4. Now add chopped beans and carrot
5. Mix well. cover and cook for 2 minutes
6. Add spice powders along with salt and sprinkle water.
7. Again cover and cook in low flame until soft
8. Add grated coconut
9. Stir less than a minute and put off the flame
10. Serve hot with Rasam or lunch meal
- You can also cook the veggies in steamer and add a seasoning along with grated coconut.
- Carrot and beans can either be cooked separate or combined together but same procedure can be followed.
- Adding coconut is optional as the south Indian Stir fry/ Poriyal is end up with adding a tsp of coconut
- You can also add about 3 tbsp of water for cooking the vegetable, else the vapor formed after closing would be sufficient for the vegetables to get cooked.
- Serve along with a lunch meal or just mix with plain rice and enjoy the taste.