Chick Pea Sundal
Chick Pea Sundal – You can prepare Sundal with any beans you like, but chickpea is the most common. The seeds are rich in protein and are oldest cultivated legume. They are also called as Bengal gram or gram. There are three colors of chickpeas available (black -Desi, Kabuli – light colored, green – common in Maharashtra). You can use any variety of chick pea to prepare this sundal. This is also one among the traditional method of preparing sundal, but just sprinkled chilli powder to enhance flavor of spice. This recipe is low in fat, high in protein, you can serve it as a snack on your coffee time or after school meal for your kids. Serve it warm or cold or any way you like it.
Ingredients of Chick Pea Sundal:
- Chick Pea/ Kabuli Channa / Konda kadalai – 3/4 cup
- Shallots – 8-9 (thin sliced)
- Green chilli – 1
- Red chilli powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Mustard – 1/4 tsp
- Channa dal – 1/4 tsp
- Urad dal – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander leaves – To garnish
- Oil -1 tbsp
Method of Preparation of Chick Pea Sundal
- Wash and soak the chick peas for about 8 hours or overnight.
- Then pressure cook by adding 1/4 tsp of salt for 4-5 whistles and drain the excess water out.
- Heat oil, splutter mustard and fry channa dal, urad dal.
- Add onions, curry leaves, slit green chilli and also red chilli powder.
- Add the pressure cooked chick peas and sprinkle remaining 1/4 tsp salt and saute in low flame.
- Now after 5-6 minutes add the coriander leaves.
- Saute for about minute and put off the flame.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- The amount of oil added should be for frying onions.
- As we are not adding coconut at the end, adding more oil goes extra and appears glossy.
- Adding chilli powder gives different flavor from our regular method of preparing sundal.