Chow-Chow Sambar | Chayote Sambar | Squash Sambar – Chow chow is the commonly used name in the markets. This vegetable chayote belong to the gourd family like squash, melons and cucumbers. This vegetable is eaten like potatoes with or without skin, but I generally peel off skin before cooking. This is just an edible fruit which is an excellent source of folate. It also contains vitamin B.
Ingredients of Chow-Chow Sambar :
- Toor dal pressure cooked – 1/2 cup
- Squash / Chow-chow – 1
- Sambar powder – 1 tsp + 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Dry red chilli – 1
- Curry leaves – few
- Tamarind juice – taken from a amla size ball
- Grated coconut – 2 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
Method of Preparation of Chow-Chow Sambar:
- Peel off the skin of squash and chop in medium size cubes.
- Add the chopped squash into the cooked dal, cover and cook until vegetable is soft.
- Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard, shallots, red chillies, curry leaves, Red chilli powder, sambar powder,Asafoetida and fry well.
- Transfer into the dal and add salt.
- After 3 minutes add the tamarind juice.
- Finally add grated coconut and put off the flame
- Transfer to a bowl and serve hot with rice.
- If you need this sambar as a side dish for idli/dosa just make sure to be little watery and skip adding coconut at the end.
- Add the tamarind water only 5 minutes before removing the dal from flame.
- Do not add coriander leaves for this sambar as the added coconut gives a wonderful texture and taste to the sambar.