Curry Leaves Rice | Karuveppillai Saadham | Curry Leaves Recipe – Curry Leaves rice / Karuvepillai saadham is a recipe which I wanted to cook from long back. Because am not fond of curry leaves pick up some reason and postponing the recipe. Like mint, I can take this curry leaves rice only when cooked and prepared along with some tangy ingredient. But there is NO SUBSTITUTE for the amazing health benefits of curry leaves. So I have to make this into practice of eating habits for my son.
As per the article from Times of India The Benefits of Curry Leaves are:
- Curry leaves are packed store house of fiber, iron, calcium, carbohydrates and multivitamins
- They promote helping in heart function, enliven your hair and skin with vitality.
- It also improves digestion, lowers the level of bad cholesterol in the body.
- Because they are the richest source of iron and folic acid, they tend to keep anemia at bay.
- Folic acid is not actually iron but it is mainly responsible for carrying and helping absorption of iron into body.
- Since curry leaves are the rich source of both compounds, it is your one step natural remedy to beat anemia.
Ingredients of Curry Leaves Rice :
- Rice – 2 cups
- Water – 5 cups (to cook rice)
- Gingely / Sesame oil – 5 tbsp
- Cashews – 8
- Ghee – 1 tsp
Roast and Grind:
- Curry leaves – 1 bowl full
- Channa dal / Split gram dal – 2 tsp
- Roasted gram dal / Pottukadalai – 1 tbsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- Dry red chillies -4-5
- Peppercorns – 1 tsp
- Tamarind – lemon size ball
- Crystal salt – 1 tbsp
METHOD of Preparation of Curry Leaves Rice:
- Pressure cook the rice with 5 cups of water for 2 whistles.
- Once pressure is down transfer to a wide bowl and separate using fork to avoid any lumps formed.
- Wash the curry leaves and drain the water.
- Heat a tsp of gingelly oil and roast the dals, pepper and chillies.
- Fry until golden brown.
- Add the cleaned curry leaves and fry well for about 2 minutes.
- Now add salt and tamarind and fry well in medium flame.
- Let the curry leaves become little crispy.
- Allow it to cool down and grind to a coarse powder.
- Add the ground powder. Also fry the cashews in ghee and add to it.
- Add the remaining gingely oil and mix well. You can also toss the vessel for the rice to get mixed instead using spoon.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Cucumber raita would be a better choice for this type of variety rice.
- The leaves should be dried off completely. Also take care not to roast the leaves too much. This will remove the aroma of curry leaves.
- Do not completely cool the rice, this would make more stiffness to the cooked rice when we mix the ground powder.
- Adding gingelly oil when mixing is most important because that would give a soft texture.
- Tossing the vessel to mix the ingredients will prevent the rice getting soggy.
- Use ghee only for roasting cashews, for remaining usage prefer sesame oil.
- Cucumber raita would be best choice for this type of strong flavored variety rice.