Dal With Snake Gourd for Infants
Dal With Snake Gourd for Infants – Moong Dal is the easily digestible dal and therefore preferred most of the times when feeding infants/babies. This recipe is made of plain dal cooked along with sliced snake gourd pieces and served with a tsp of melted butter. The reason to post this recipe is that we always stick on to very few vegetables when feeding babies (like carrot,cabbage,radish,beans). This recipe is just to make a recall of of few forgotten veggies which has bundle of secret health benefits which are faded away among the kids (like snake gourd and other gourd variety,bean and lentil varieties) Will post later on few recipes on using lentils and beans. Now my son got used to eat the chopped and cooked veggies, so please let me take sometime to post on.
Ingredients of Dal With Snake Gourd for Infants:
- Moong dal/ Paasi paruppu / Split yellow dal – 2 tbsp
- Snake gourd – 2 tbsp (thin sliced in medium pieces)
- Butter – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – a pinch
Method of Preparation of Dal With Snake Gourd for Infants:
- Dry roast dal and cook soft with turmeric powder.
- Add sliced snake gourd and let it cook.
- Add salt to taste and butter/ghee while serving.
- Seasoning can be done with mustard and curry leaves.
Step-wise of Making Dal With Snake Gourd for Infants:
- Heat a pan and dry roast the dal until a fine aroma comes.
- Add the roasted dal to boiling water and cook until soft with drop of ghee.
- Add the sliced snake gourd when the dal is 3/4th cooked .
- Let it cook until both vegetable and dal cooked mushy.
- You can also do a plain tadka/tempering with mustard and curry leaves.
- When first introducing, just feed with cooked and mashed dal, then go on with added veggies.
- Take care to buy a tender and fresh veggies when cooking for infants /babies.
- Do not grind the veggies all the time when feeding as they will not be practised for habit of chewing.
- Instead cook well with additional quantity of water and smash well using your hand. This makes you feel the softness of food when feeding your little ones.
- In the same process you can add brinjal,bottle gourd, ridge gourd goes well for cooking with moong dal.
- Either cook in open vessel else use a pressure cooker to cook the dal. Add a tomato while cooking dal which can be used for making rasam. (This is optional). Cooking dal in open vessel gives you dal water with perfect texture for making rasam.