Drumstick Leaves Stir Fry | Murungakeerai Poriyal – Drumstick Leaves is called as Moringa or Murungai Keerai. This Moringa leaf is known to be the best source of nutrition and natural energy boosters. It helps in lowering the blood pressure and is sleep aid. It is found to be very effective in controlling diabetes. This can using as skin antiseptic and also acts as anthelmintic (able to kill worms).
Eating the leaves will be increase the women’s milk production and is also prescribed during anemic conditions.
Ingredients of Drumstick Leaves Stir Fry:
- Moringa / Drumstick Leaves – 1 cup
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Grated coconut – 1 tbsp
- Oil -1 tbsp
- Mustard – 2 pinches
- Onion (finely chopped) – 2 tsp
- Dry red chilli – 2
- Channa dal – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
Method of Preparation of Drumstick Leaves Stir Fry:
- Take the moringa bunch and check for any worms under the leaves and make sure it’s perfectly clean.
- Separate the leaves from the stalk and wash. Drain the water completely and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan add the mustard, channa and urad dal and fry golden brown.
- Please add the chillies too.
- Now add the cleaned moringa leaves, mix well and cover with lid.
- Cook until soft in low flame. Add salt and mix gently.
- Finally add in grated coconut.
- Just mix for 1/2 minute and put off the flame.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Usually stir fry/Poriyal are best combo for rice at lunch.
- Cover with lid and cook. The steam produced with the available content is sufficient for the leaves to get cooked.
- Cook only in low flame else the leaves tend to burn easily as we are not adding water here in this recipe.
- Add salt only at the end for leafy vegetables as the quantity shows a great difference before and after cooked.
- If you want to store the extra leaves after cooking, take care not to wash, because the water content tend to give a rotten smell from leaves after refrigerating.