Green Peas Masala Recipe
Green Peas Masala – Green peas is my all time favorite. Though it doesn’t have a excellent or a special taste it has a unique flavor and aroma where few like and dislike the taste. Fresh peas can be added in any of the dishes whether it can be a pulao, rice, one pot meal, even gravy or curry. The recipe posted here is a simple version of green peas masala/curry prepared in restaurant style of creamy gravy. When it comes to the cost it varies seasonal ranging from 25/kg to 180 when there is demand for production. So when ever the season starts around end of December you can utilize the green peas for preparing variety of dishes and enjoy the taste.
Ingredients of Green Peas Masala:
- Fresh Green peas – 1 cup peeled
- Cashews – 7
- Curd – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala / Subji masala – 1 tsp
- Salt as required
To fry and grind :
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1/2
- Ginger- 1 inch
- Garlic – 3-4 pods
- Red chilli powder – 1.5 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- For Tempering/Tadka :
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Bay leaf – 1
- Shahi jeera – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
- Clove – 2
- Onion – 1 diced
Method of Preparation of Green Peas Masala:
- Soak the cashews & Pressure cook peas for 2 whistles
- Fry the ingredients listed under “To fry and grind”
- Heat oil in pan, add ingredients listed under tempering
- Add sliced onion and fry golden brown.
- Add ground paste,all spice powders along with salt.
- Pour adequate water (about 1/2 cup)
- Let it cook in low flame.
- Once cooked make a paste of soaked cashew with curd and add into the gravy
Stepwise pictures of Green Peas Masala
- Soak the cashews 15 minutes before use
- Heat oil in pan, fry onion, ginger and garlic
- When the onions turn translucent add chopped tomatoes
- Add 1.5 tsp of red chilli powder
- Let it fry well
- Separate the peas. Add in pan with 1/2 cup water
- Pressure cook for 2 whistle
- Heat oil in a pan, fry bay leaf, shahi jeera, cinnamon and a clove
- Now add sliced onions
- Add the finely ground paste
- Let it cook for 5 minutes in low flame. Now add the turmeric powder and coriander powder
- Also add the garam masala powder
- Let it cook for another 5 minutes until raw smell leaves off and now add the cooked peas
- Mix well and cook for 2 minutes in low flame.
- Now make a fine paste of soaked cashews and add into the gravy
- Give a fine stir and put off the flame
- Serve hot with Phulka, roti, chapathi of your choice
You can add a pinch of salt while cooking peas, but generally I do add in the gravy
You can also add a tsp of fresh cream at the end instead of cashew paste.
Cashew paste gives a better density, creamy consistency and flavor to the gravy
You can also replace it with a tbsp of fresh cream if you have.