How To Make Kachayam | Godhumai Kachayam | Wheat Appam
How To Make Kachayam | Godhumai Kachayam | Wheat Appam – Kachayam is the traditional sweet recipe of South India, mainly in the regions of Tamilnadu. The simple recipe of Kachayam is blend with ripen bananas and all purpose flour (maida) along with added sugar for its sweetness, but the recipe posted here is quite twist with soaked whole wheat grinded along with the aroma of jaggery and fried to make perfect balls of sweet which can be stored even for about a week which gives an add-on taste to the recipe.
I prefer doing this method of kachayam in order to skip the usage of maida and white sugar. Also this would be a healthy and easy step I follow whenever I grind for whole wheat dosa. (So I always soak additional cup of wheat during that time).
Ingredients of How To Make Kachayam :
- Whole Wheat – 1 cup
- Jaggery – 1/4 kg
- Wheat Rava (optional) – as required
- Oil for deep frying
Please find below for step by step how to make kachayam.
Method of preparation of How To Make Kachayam:
- Soak whole wheat and grind along with jaggery.
- The batter should be of thick consistency.
- If its loose then add soaked wheat rava else add the rava,mix well and soak (step 8& 9)
- Take fine balls and deep fry in oil.
Step-wise of Making How To Make Kachayam :
- Wash and soak the whole wheat for about 6 hours else overnight will also be fine.
- Take the jaggery (I used cane jaggery, Its also available in powder form).
- Crush/break the jaggery into powder using any hard object. I used my mortar and pestle.
- Grind the soaked wheat and when ground completely add the crushed jaggery into the grinder.
- Grind until wheat and jaggery mixed evenly.
- The consistency would look like this, So don’t panic.
- Transfer into a bowl.
- This step is purely optional ( As I added because the batter was little loose. Here you can either add the rava else soak the rava separately and add to the batter)
- Mix well and let it stand for about 1/2 an hour.
( step 8 and 9 is followed when you are not getting below shown consistency)
- The consistency should be like you can take the mix in hand as shown in picture.
- Heat oil in a kadai/wok and add the batter in medium balls and let it fry in little high above the medium flame.
- Flip and fry until the are evenly golden brown.
- Transfer them onto a tissue to drain any excess oil.
- Take care the flame while frying not to be too low or high or even medium too. The flame should be little high than medium.
- Else the app am tend to absorb more oil and uneven frying resulting color change.
- I used coconut oil for extra flavor of the sweet. You can use normal refined oil too.
- When you take care to grind with adequate water you does not require the step 8 and 9.
- The water quantity depends on grinding consistency so kiddy take care as it varies.