Masoor Dal Fry | Masoor Dal Recipe – Dal is the generic name of lentils. Though we use toor dal in regular cooking, masoor dal would be a light and easy choice to cook. Masoor dal can also be called as pink dal and the recipe posted here would be simple for regular cooking. This dal can be used in combination with pigeon pea/toor dal and cal be combined with other dals too for preparing dal fry recipes. Masoor dal is available in two varieties whole masoor dal (with black outer cover) used for preparing dal makhani and here I used is split variety. This would be a better combo for rice, phulka, roti and chapati.
Ingredients of Masoor Dal Fry:
- Masoor dal – 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Mustard – less than 1/4 tsp
- Jeers/cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Chillies (Green and red) – 2
- Ginger – 1/4 inch
- Garlic – 2 pods
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Ghee/castor oil – two drops to cook dal
- Water – about 1/2 cup
Method of Preparation of Masoor Dal Fry:
- Cook the lentil/dal soft adding turmeric powder and ghee/castor oil.
- Fry mustard, Jeera, onion, chillies, crushed ginger and garlic.
- Add Red chilli powder, followed by tomatoes.
- Cook mushy and add cooked dal, salt and 1/2 cup water.
- Let it boil until right consistency.
- Serve hot.
Step-wise of making Masoor Dal Fry :
- Measure a cup of Masoor dal.
- Add the cleaned dal into boiling water.
- Add castor oil/ghee and turmeric powder and let it cook.
- Smash well using wooden ladle and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard,jeera and let it splutter.
- Add chopped onions and fry well.
- Then add crushed ginger and garlic along with slit chillies.
- Pour half tsp of red chill powder and let it cook in low flame.
- Add chopped tomatoes.
- Let it cook until soft and mushy.
- Add cooked dal.
- Mix well and add required salt.
- Add about half cup of water and let it boil.
- When you get the desired consistency put off the flame.
- Serve hot with rice and along with rasam.
- You can also use the pressure cooker to cook the dal.
- We have a tradition of using castor oil while cooking dals, you can also use ghee instead.
- Cooking dal in open vessel with added oil gives a vibrant color and texture to make a perfect rasam.
- Add a tomato while cooking dal. Here dal water is extracted along with tomato which can be used for making rasam.