Moong Dal Tomato Rasam
Moong Dal Tomato Rasam – Moong dal is one of the easily digestible pulses/cereals. We can also call it as simple form of protein and a kids friendly dal. Rasam is the traditional dish of South India and the list of variety would be too long. Moong Dal Tomato Rasam is the simple version of Moong dal rasam which can be a better combo for rice along with dal for lunch menu.
Ingredients Moong Dal Tomato Rasam :
- Moong dal / Split Moong dal – 1/2 cup
- Tomato & Tamarind – 1 lemon size (Optional)
- Rasam Powder – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Coriander Leaves – few to garnish
- Asafoetida – 1 pinch
To Temper :
- Oil – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard – 1/4 tsp
- Garlic – 2 pods
- Curry leaves – few
- Red chilli -1
Method of Preparartion of Moong Dal Tomato Rasam:
- Heat a kadai and roast moong dal in low flame.
- Either use a pot or pressure cook to cook your dal along with tomato and turmeric powder.
- Drain out the water along with tomato. You can use the resting dal to prepare dal fry else you can blend together.
- Take the tomato out. let it cool and squeeze out the juice.Now soak tamarind when the dal water is hot.
- The tamarind gets soft and squeeze out the juice.I use both tomato and tamarind.
- Heat oil and add the items under “To Temper”
- Now add the Dal water, Tomato and tamarind juice and let it boil. Add salt to taste.
- When the water forms a froth layer transfer into the bowl containing coriander leaves, asafoetida and rasam powder.
- Serve Hot with Rice.
- If you want to prepare a dal fry along with this rasam recipe, you can use the resting dal after draining the water out.
- Else you can blend the dal along with tomato and tamarind.
- For infants below 1 year you can skip tamarind and spice ingredients.