Mushroom Pepper Fry – Mushrooms….. Yumm!! My all-time favorite and now my son is an added member. Mushrooms are the richest source of Selenium (protects urinary bladder) and Folic acid (iron). Like humans they produce Vitamin D when exposed to sunlight. Yes !! Mushrooms are the only fruit or vegetable source of this critical vitamin. White button mushrooms are found to promote the immune function but any variety it might be, mushrooms are said to be healthier generally. It is a store house of Vitamin B and antioxidants too.
Ingredients of Mushroom Pepper Fry:
- Mushroom – 200 gm
- Onion – 1
- Ginger – 1/2 inch
- Garlic – 2
- Green chillies -1
- Curry leaves – few
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Crushed pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Mustard – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
Method of Preparation of Mushroom Pepper Fry:
- Wash the mushrooms and cut into halves.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard and let it splutter.
- Add the finely chopped onions and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add the crushed ginger and garlic.
- Now add slit chilli and curry leaves. Just fry for less than a minute
- Add in cut mushrooms.
- Add turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp of pepper powder, salt.
- Mix well.
- Cover with lid and cook in low flame and the mushrooms tend to leave water.
- After about 3-4 minutes the mushroom gets cooked completely.
- Once the water gets completely dried off add remaining pepper powder and put off the flame.
- Do not add water as the mushroom tends to leave water by itself.
- Cook the mushroom until soft.
- Do not fry the chilly or any other ingredients much to get the original flavor of the spices.
- If you wish add 2-3 drops of lemon juice at the end.
- Do not add any coriander leaves, jeera or any ingredients. As I have tried adding additional spices but it would give complete change in the taste of mushroom pepper fry.
- Try to use pepper in the form of freshly grounded powder, which enhances the flavor and rich spice