Neer Moru – Neer Moru is a spiced buttermilk drink and become one of the famous traditional drink and is one of my favorite drink since childhood. Butter milk is the liquid form of curd either in thick or creamy consistency. But Neer Moru is the liquid and prepared after churning out the butter formed. As per the name Neer (watery) moru (buttermilk) the drink tastes awesome only when it is watery. This is the most common drink in South India. You can substitute the aerated drinks in the market with a healthy drink and make the body cool and keep hydrated. It’s the best way to enjoy the summer.
Ingredients of Neer Moru:
- Curd – 1/2 cup
- Water – 1 litre
- Crystal salt – 1 tsp
- Ginger – 1/2 inch
- Curry leaves -1 stick
- Coriander leaves – few
- Hing/ Asafoetida – a pinch
- Green chilli – 1
Method of Preparation of Neer Moru:
- Firstly, add the curd and 1 cup of water in a vessel and churn for about 3 minutes until you get a thick butter milk consistency.
- Again add about 1 cup of water and churn well to remove any creamy layers formed.
- Then crush the curry leaves using your fingers and set aside. You can also chop and add.
- Chop the chilli, coriander leaves and crush the ginger,
- Add to the churned butter milk. Also add salt.
- Add a pinch of Asafoetida.
- Now add remaining water and churn again using a churner.
- Transfer to a drinking glass and the drink is ready to serve.
- As per the name add more water and churn to get original taste. Neer moru taste better only when it is watery.
- You can adjust water according to the consistency you require.
- Neer moru can also be prepared using seasoning mustard seeds, adding crushed jeera, I will update in later posts.
- Dividing the water and adding helps to churn evenly.