Pigeon Pea Rice
Pigeon Pea Rice – Pigeon Peas were extensively used for feeding livestock and to manufacture dals. This legume has been my favorite since my childhood days. When ever we cultivate turmeric in our field we plant this legume along the sides. This legume has a great aroma and taste excellent when pressure cook just by adding salt. We sit in group, share stories and finish off the whole basket leaving beside the waste and now here I carry the memories ? Pigeon peas are high in nutrients where we get toor dal from this legume. It is called as arhar dal or toor dal in Hindi. This time I try to post Pigeon Pea Recipe, this recipe is one of my favourite.
Ingredients of Pigeon Pea Rice:
- Pigeon Pea – 1 cup
- Rice – 2 cup
- Water – 5 cups
- Shallots – 1/2 cup
- Tomato – 1
- Curry leaves – 1 spring
- Red Chillies – 3-4
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Grated coconut – 2 tbsp
- Garlic – 4-5 pods
- Mustard – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Salt – 1.5 tsp
- Coriander leaves – to garnish
- Ghee – 1 tsp used while serving.
Method of Preparation of Pigeon Pea Rice:
- Heat oil in pressure pan and fry mustard, shallots,tomato,chillies, curry leaves and garlic
- Add rice, water, pigeon pea and salt
- Add spice powders and coconut. mix well
- Check for salt and pressure cook for 2 whisltes
- Release pressure and garnish with chopped coriander leaves
- Serve hot with ghee and finish it with curd
Step-wise making of Pigeon Pea Rice :
- Separate the pigeon pea from the pod, wash and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard, shallots, garlic, curry leaves, chillies, tomato and fry for a minute
- Pour water, rice and pigeon pea
- Then add salt and mix well
- Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, grated coconut
- Mix well and check for salt
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles. Once pressure downs garnish with chopped coriander leaves
- Mix well gently
- Transfer into a plate and serve with ghee, curd,cucumber or raita of your choice.
- Pigeon pea is traditionally used in preparing rice and sundal in villages. Nowadays we get in market
- You can use normal rice what we use for regular cooking.
- This recipe doesn’t need any additional spices other than onion, tomato and plain spice powders
- If you do not prefer adding coconut just skip.
- Serve first wit ghee and the finish up the meal with curd