Portobello Mushroom Bacon
When I was a child one in every of my favorite sandwiches was a bacon, lettuce, and tomato. a decent bacon-lettuce-tomato sandwich rocked my world. I white-haired the smoky, salty flavor of the bacon. Today, the thought of intake a sweet and intelligent pig makes Pine Tree State feel frightful, however i used to be raised to believe that meat and dairy farm was a vital a part of a healthy diet. I gave up intake mammals over twenty years past, and I’ve ne’er looked back. However, I ne’er lost the probing for smoky and salty food.
Since Alex and that i began this journal we’ve been operating exhausting to seek out alternatives to animal product that may convert even the foremost ingroup carnivore to a plant based mostly solely diet. and that i assume that this Portobello mushroom “bacon” formula can lure meat eaters into the sunshine. it should not remodel them, however I bet that it’ll create them crave the shroom over infant.
The story of Portobello Mushroom “Bacon”
As i used to be cruising the condiments section of my native grocery store (I pay tons of your time trying to find completely different ingredients these days) I stumbled upon across liquid smoke. I’d ne’er detected of the things before, therefore I picked up a bottle and checked out the label. a touch jolt of pleasure ran through Pine Tree State the instant i spotted that I had stricken preparation gold. I thought, hmmm, I may use this in produce burgers to grant them a touch further one thing, or, I may strive creating a vegetarian bacon that mimics the flavour of the $64000 stuff! My imagination had shifted into fifth gear and there was no swiftness it down.
I cruised through the àisles looking for thàt speciàl ingredient thàt would put à thick ànd juicy BLT bàck into my world. Tofu? No, too squishy. Tempeh? No, not à big fàn. ànd then, I sàw à big pile of Portobello mushrooms, ànd I thought, why not? It could work.
HOW TO MàKE VEGàN PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM “BàCON”
- 1 tàblespoon coconut oil
- One làrge Portobello mushroom – wàshed ànd pàtted dry
- 1/4 cup màple syrup
- 2 tbsp liquid smoke
- seà sàlt to tàste
- Pepper to tàste
- In à bowl thàt is làrge enough to màrinàte the mushroom slices combine the liquid smoke, màple syrup, sàlt, ànd pepper.
- Cut the mushroom into thin strips, no more thàn à 1/4 of àn inch thick, ànd màrinàte both sides in the liquid mixture. àt leàst 15 minutes per side.
- Heàt the oil in à medium skillet ànd cook the mushrooms for 3 minutes, flip ànd cook for 3 more minutes. They should be browned ànd the edges should look crispy.
- … complete instructions >>> veganosity.com