Ragda Chaats Recipe – Ragda is the gravy or the base that is required for preparing variety of Indian chaats or street foods. Am a great fan of chat recipes especially masala puri served in small chat corners. “Ragda or the gravy” is prepared using white peas/ green peas. One can make a variety of Indian chats with the hot and spicy ragda. I have tasted the ragda based chats from small food court, A2B and variety of hotels but the perfect taste of originality you can get is from small food courts.
If I do not have time to prepare puris / golgappa I would just love to slurp the ragda garnished with chopped onions and coriander leaves or even sprinkle of sev and grated carrot too.
Ingredients of Ragda Chaats Recipe:
- Dried Green peas / white peas – 1 cup
- Onion -2
- Tomato – 2
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Besan flour – 1.5 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Jeera / cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Dry mango / Amchur powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chaat masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 3/4 tsp
- Black salt – less than 1/4 tsp
- Salt – 1.5 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- To garnish – Chopped onions, coriander leaves, sev, grated carrot.
Method of Preparation for Ragda Chaats Recipe:
- Soak dr peas for 8 hours and pressure cook 4-5 whistles
- Finely chop onion, grate ginger,soak besan flour, puree tomatoes, grind 1/4 cup cooked peas
- Heat oil + fry ginger, onion + tomato puree.
- Add all spices and fry until raw smell goes off
- Add cooked peas and ground peas along with water and salt.
- Let it boil for 3 minutes
- Serve just as plain ragda else use to prepare any Indian street chats.
Stepwise preparation of Ragda Chaats Recipe:
1. Soak dry peas 8 hours else overnight
- You can either use one variety of peas or combination of both.
- You can also add crushed garlic and green chillies along with onions while frying.
- I tried both method but the one without garlic and chillies tastes good. But it prey depends on your taste requirement.
- When you are adding water for correcting the consistency, make sure to add boiling water to retain the taste.
- This method of preparing gravy/ragda is used to prepare Masala puri, dahi puri, Peas chat, papdi chat and many more in the list.