Semiya Kesari – Kesari is one of the simple sweet recipe which can be prepared at all occasions. Also this recipe of making kesari using vermicelli/Semiya does not require much of ghee like other kesari recipes. I here used the roasted variety of vermicelli, you can also use the plain/normal one too,but you need additional few minutes to roast golden brown and evenly.
Ingredients of Semiya Kesari:
- Vermicelli / Semiya – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Water – 1 and half cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- Cashews – 5-6
- Raisin – few
- Ghee- 3 tsp
- Food color (orange ) – a pinch
Method of Preparation of Semiya Kesari:
- Roast cashews, raisin in a tsp of ghee.
- In same pan roast vermicelli until golden brown, add water and cook soft.
- Add in sugar, mix well and cook + diluted food color
- Add roasted cashews and raisin, tsp of ghee and cardamom powder.
- Serve hot
Stepwise of Making Semiya Kesari :
- Heat a Pan, add a tsp of ghee.
- Add the cashews and fry olden brown in low flame.
- Add in raisins and fry golden brown. Drain and keep it aside.
- Add a tsp of ghee and slightly roast the vermicelli
- Fry in low flame until you feel mild aroma when roasting.
- Add in water
- Let it cook until soft by absorbing water completely
- Add in Sugar
- Sugar tends to leave water while cooking
- When the water reduces by half the quantity add in the food color dissolved in water.
- Mix well evenly and let it cook until water evaporates completely
- Add in roasted cashews and raisins
- Also a tsp of remaining ghee
- Mix well and sprinkle in cardamom powder
- Give a gentle stir for about a minute and put off the flame.
- Transfer into a serving bowl
- Roasting of vermicelli depends on the variety you use (available in thin variety, roasted, thick non roasted)
- Water content varies depending on variety of vermicelli we use. You can adjust water accordingly.
- Sugar can also be adjusted depending on your preference. I prefer medium sweetness.
- You can also crush whole cardamom using a tsp of sugar and add. I used the powder made using the seeds as I always store.
- Take care to add sugar after the vermicelli is cooked, else they tend to become rubbery/harden/thick.
- Serve hot for a fine taste.