Senai Kilzhangu Poriyal
Senai Kilzhangu Poriyal – Elephant Foot Yam is called as Senai kilzhangu in Tamil, Suran in Hindi. They are edible tubers and safely consumed by diabetic people.They are good for women as they increases estrogen levels in maintaining a normal hormonal balance. Since they are high in Vitamin B6,provides relief from Pre-Menstural syndrome(PMS). Consumption reduces irregular bowel movements, cure constipation and good for people with piles.
Ingredients of Senai Kilzhangu Poriyal:
- Elephant foot yam – 1 cup
- Red chilli – 3
- Curry leaves -5
- Channa dal & urad dal -1 tsp
- Shallots -6 to 7
- Turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder -1/4 tsp
- Mustard -1/4 tsp
- Oil -2 tbsp
- Grated coconut -4 tbsp
Method of Preparation of Senai Kilzhangu Poriyal:
How to Cut and wash the yam:
- Wear a gloves or grease your hands with oil before cleaning the yam to avoid itching.
- Cut the yam in cube shape and wash well with water adding 1 tsp of crystal salt to reduce itching sensation.
Method of Cooking of Senai Kilzhangu Poriyal:
- Put the chopped yam in a round bottomed vessel, add about 3 cups of water, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, little salt and close the vessel with a lid.
- Cook well until the yam becomes soft. Once complete drain the water out.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard and let it splutter.
- Now fry the channa dal & urad dal to golden brown. Add chopped shallots, chillies, curry leaves and saute for a while.
- Add in grated coconut and fry for only a minute.
- Now add the cooked yam and sprinkle little salt as you have already added salt while cooking the elephant foot yam.
- Cook for about 10 minutes in low flame and transfer to a serving plate.
- Cook the yam well, if not they cause itching/irritation in throat also.
- In South most of the people prepare Elephant foot yam poriyal in this method.