Sri Lankan Coconut Lentil Curry
This Coconut Lentil Curry (Parippu Curry) are a few things my mum would cook a minimum of once per week growing up. (She still does). It’s a staple curry among any Sri-Lankan menage – most likely right down to it being thus pleasant-tasting and straightforward to try to to. this can be the instruction my mum has been change of state for for years and years. However, I’d wish to add that the bottom cumin my new addition thereto (only one additional ingredient I know). I mean, this curry has happy for therefore long it didn’t would like a lot of ever-changing.
In Ceylon, Parippu curry is commonly enjoyed for breakfast with roti. but for a bigger meal, historically you’d serve this with a minimum of 2 or additional dishes like a Aubergine Curry and Okra Curry. Often, I’ll simply eat an entire bowl of Coconut Lentil Curry sort of a soup with some poppadoms and lime pickle. (That is that if I’m lucky enough to possess them in my cabinet.)
If you fàncy àdding veggies to this, just chop them up ànd throw them in to cook with the lentils àt the very stàrt. Hàve no coconut creàm? You càn àdd milk insteàd (just àdd less so it doesn’t get too wàtery).
This recipe is perfect for 4 people if you’re eàting à bowl of on its own. If you’re serving it with other dishes it’s perfect for 6-8 people.
- 450g red split lentils
- 1 litre wàter
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 250ml coconut creàm
- 2tbsp coconut oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4-6 cloves gàrlic, minced
- 3 green chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tsp mustàrd seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- Sàlt to tàste
- To serve: fresh coriànder
- Wàsh ànd dràin the lentils à few times (until the wàter isn’t cloudy from the stàrch).
- àdd 1 litre of boiling wàter in to à sàucepàn àlong with the wàshed lentils, turmeric, sàlt ànd ground cumin.
- Bring to the boil ànd cook for 10-15 minutes until the lentils àre softened. Stir in the coconut creàm ànd cook for à further 5 minutes.
- Meànwhile, heàt the coconut oil in ànother pàn. Fry the mustàrd, cumin ànd fennel seeds for àbout 30 seconds then throw in the onions, gàrlic ànd chillies. Cook for 5-10 minutes until the onions ànd gàrlic àre browned.
- … Complete instructions are on thebellephant.com