Tomato Rasam – This time I post about Tomato Rasam Recipe, it is a popular south indian rasam recipe made with tomatoes and is a soupy kind of a recipe with lots of tempering and tamarind extract and tomatoes. Usually in our place we do extract dal water to make rasam. Dal water is taken when cooking toordal, green gram, horsegram for lunch. sometimes we don’t cook these dal for lunch menu, in these times Tomato rasam is a substitute prepared. This is very simple to make and suits excellent when served with any vegetable poriyal of your choice.
Ingredients of Tomato Rasam:
- Tomato -3
- Tamarind -pea sized
- Ginger -pepper size crushed
- Garlic -3
- Shallots -1 (optional)
- Green chilli -1
- Curry leaves – few
- Turmeric powder -a pinch
- Rasam powder -1 tsp
- Chilli powder -1/4 tsp
- Coriander leaves -1 tsp
- Salt as required
- Oil – very little (less than 1/4 tsp)
- Asafoetida -a pinch
- Mustard -less than 1/4 tsp
Method of Preparation of Tomato Rasam:
- In a bowl add 1/2 glass of water and cook the tomatoes and tamarind together for about 10 minutes.
- Allow it to cool down and crush well to extract the pulp and squeeze out the waste.
- Now heat oil in a pan, add mustard and let it splutter.
- Then add asafoetida, crushed garlic, shallots, chillies, curry leaves and saute in low flame.
- Once you get the aroma add the tomato water, salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder, rasam powder and add 1 glass of water.
- Now let it boil for about 5 minutes.
- When it starts boiling with bubbles add the chopped coriander leaves and transfer to a serving bowl.
- If you want add a drop of ghee at the end.
- Shallots are optional.
- Do not add more water to boil. Add only the given measurement of water.