Tomato Thokku Garlic Pods
Tomato Thokku Garlic Pods – Tomatoes are rich in vitamin C and it takes important part in our regular food habit. This fruit is available in market throughout the year and the prices are very much affordable too, sometimes we get in a very cheaper rate. Tomato thokku can be prepared in these times and can be stored for about a week. This can also be taken as a side dish for chappathi or roti during travel. You can also serve it with rice.
Ingredients of Tomato Thokku Garlic Pods:
- Tomato – 1 kg
- Whole dry red chillies – 8 to 10
- Mustard -1tsp
- Asafoetida -1 tsp
- Red chilli powder -3 tsp
- Coriander powder – 4 tsp
- Turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
- Garlic -2 full
- Gingelly oil -6 to 7 tbsp
- Salt as required
Method of Preparation Tomato Thokku Garlic Pods:
- Cut half of the tomatoes in big pieces and grind the remaining half.
- Then heat oil in thick Kadai/pan and add mustard. Let it splutter.
- Now add the whole garlic pods, red chillies, Asafoetida and just saute. Put in the chopped pieces of tomatoes and fry well.
- Cook the tomato pieces until mushy, then add in the grinded tomato paste and red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Keep frying in medium flame with continuous stirring. Take care not to get burnt.
- When the tomatoes get cooked to a gravy/pickle form oil starts oozing out.
- Now put off the flame and allow it to cool. Now the thokku is ready to serve or carry.
- Add little more oil if you find that the gravy getting sticky to the pan or if you feel that oil is not sufficient.
- Store Tomato Thokku Garlic Pods in airtight box or glass bottles.
- Do not cut the red chillies because adding in whole form gives a better look and taste.