Urad Dal Vadai | Medhu Vadai
Urad Dal Vadai | Medhu Vadai – Medhu vada is the best and famous compliment along with idli in South Indian hotels for breakfast. But you also can find it in food street stall. Urad dal contains protein, fat and carbohydrates. It is one of the protein friendly diet. They are also rich in fibre which makes it to get digested easily. They reduces cholesterol and increases cardiovascular health. Urad dal provides very good nutritional benefits for women as they are rich in iron, folic acid, calcium and many more. This recipe is easy, the secret is you should grind the urad dal mixture until smooth and fluffy, care not to add much water.
Ingredients of Urad Dal Vadai:
- Urad dal – 1 cup
- Raw rice – ¼ cup
- Pepper corns -1 tsp
- Red chilli -3
- Curry leaves -2 strand
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Chopped coriander leaves – 3 tbsp
- Oil for deep frying
Method of Urad Dal Vadai :
- Soak urad dal and raw rice separately for ½ an hour.
- Grind urad dal without adding water. When the dal becomes coarse batter add the soaked rice and grind to a fine paste in thick consistency.
- To this batter add pepper corns, chopped red chillies, salt, chopped coriander and curry leaves.
- Mix well the batter and leave aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a pan and when hot take the batter and put in the oil with holes.
- The batter should not be watery as you will not be able to hold in the shape of vada or make holes.
- Wet the hand with water after adding each vada to oil, so that the batter doesn’t stick to the fingers.
- Pepper corns can also be crushed a little and added to get the flavour more.
- Adding rice and grinding at the end gives a better taste when compared to that of adding rice flour.