Vallarai Chutney A Herbal Chutney for Dosa
Vallarai Chutney A Herbal Chutney for Dosa – Vallarai leaves or Centella or Asiatic or Indian pennywort. It is used widely in most Indian recipe. Also it is used as medicine because it acts as nervine tonic, improves mental ability and in Ayurveda it is used in treating mental disorders too. Vallarai is also known for very good memory power. You can add this vallarai in your diet at least once a week. There is a lot of health benefits in using this vallarai . You might have heard about Brahmi oil for hair problems like hair loss, hair thinning and premature greying. Centella or Vallarai supports normal functioning of mind, intellect, consciousness and good spirit. Vallarai is normally used in preparing chutney. This Vallarai Chutney is one of the easiest recipe you can make. Also it is very healthy and delicious too.
Ingredients of Vallarai Chutney A Herbal Chutney for Dosa:
- Vallarai – 2 bunches
- Shallots -10
- Tomato -1 small sized
- Dry chillies -5
- Channa dal -1/2 tsp
- Urad dal -1 tsp
- Grated coconut -1/3 cup
- Tamarind – pea sized
- Oil -1 tbsp
- Salt as required
Method of Vallarai Chutney A Herbal Chutney for Dosa:
- Heat 1/2 tsp oil in a pan, then saute the vallarai leaves for about 5 minutes and keep aside.
- In the same kadai add remaining oil and also fry channa dal, urad dal to golden brown.
- Add shallots, dry red chillies and fry well. Once the shallots are fried add the chopped tomatoes and cook mushy.
- Now add grated coconut and fry well.
- Then transfer all the fried ingredients, salt, tamarind to a blender and grind well to a coarse paste. Add little water to grind.
- The chutney is ready to serve with rice, dosa or idlis.
- Use only the leaves of vallarai to prepare chutney.
- Fry the leaves well as they give a bitter taste when half fried.