Wheat Poha | Godhumai Aval | Wheat Avalaki
Wheat Poha | Godhumai Aval | Wheat Avalaki – Wheat is considered to be the less carbohydrate food and is also a staple grain of North India. This has prevailed its benefits in South too and is believed to be a simple and healthy platter. This type of Poha/Avalaki recipes are found to be an authentic and a healthy breakfast. Its diabetic and diet friendly too.
Ingredients of Wheat Poha | Godhumai Aval | Wheat Avalaki:
- Wheat Poha/ Godhumai Aval- 1 bowl
- Shallots/onion – 1/4 cup sliced
- Curry leaves – few
- Mustard – 1/4 tsp
- Grated coconut – 1/4 cup
- Channa dal – 1/4 tsp
- Urad dal – 1/4 tsp
- Green chilli & Red chilli -1 each
- Coriander leaves – To garnish
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Oil -1 tbsp
Method of Preparation of Wheat Poha | Godhumai Aval | Wheat Avalaki:
- Wash and soak the Aval/avalaki/poha for about 5-8 minutes.
- Drain out the water completely by pressing using your palm. DO NOT squeeze. Add 1/4 tsp salt, mix well and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard and let it splutter. Fry channa dal and Urad dal into golden brown.
- Fry the sliced onions, chillies, curry leaves and chopped ginger.
- Add the grated coconut and fry in low flame.
- Fry until slight golden brown or you get the mild aroma.
- Now add in the soaked poha/Aval/Avalaki. Also sprinkle additional salt.
- Saute until the flakes are hot and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Transfer into a hot case and serve either with a pickle or curd of your choice.
- Soaking is an important step in preparing this recipe of poha/Aval/Avalaki
- Do not squeeze much to drain the water, just give a gentle press using your palm.
- Take care not to fry the coconut into golden brownish as they tend to give a fried flavor.
- You can also add cashews while frying the dals.
- Adding salt has to be done in two steps which give even spreading and taste.